Demetrios K. Kokkidis (1840-1896) was born in Athens. He obtained his doctorate in Astronomy at the University of Berlin in 1862, thanks to a fellowship of Baron Georgios Sinas (in german Georg Simon von Sina), under the supervision of Johann Franz Encke, Karl Christian Bruhns, and Wilhelm Foerster. He continued his education in Paris and on April 16, 1877 he became adjunct professor of Astronomy at the University of Athens. He was promoted to honorary professor on March 30, 1881 and on November 8, 1882 he became full Professor and Astronomer at the Observatory of Athens. He taught courses in meteorology, climatology, astronomy, and mathematics. He served as the Director of the Observatory of Athens from 1884, when Johann Friedrich Julius Schmidt passed away, until 1890, when the Observatory of Athens was restructured and Prof. Demetrios Eginitis became its fifth Director. Prof. Kokkidis was also responsible for establishing the first network of meteorological stations in Greece.