Professor, University of Maryland, U.S.A. He was born in
Larissa, Greece on the 29th of December, 1938. He
received the B.Sc. in Physics from the University of Athens,
Greece (1960), the M.Sc. in Nuclear Technology from the
M.I.T. (1965) and the Ph.D. from the University of Maryland
in 1968. He has been Research Associate at the same
University, Senior Research Physicist and Consultant to the
Plasma Physics Division of the Naval Research Laboratory
and Science Advisor to the Office of Fusion Energy of the
Government of the U.S.A. He has been honored with the
NASA’s “Certificate of Commendation” for distinct services in the Space Sciences, with the Prize for Scientific Achievements in Sciences of the Washington Academy of Sciences, with the E.O. Hulbert Prize for the Sciences and with the Navy’s Prize for Meritorious Civilian Service. He is Fellow and a member of the Fellows nominating Committee of the American Physical Society. He is a member of numerous societies and committees. His scientific interests are in Plasma and Space Physics and he has published hundreds of papers on these subjects.
Professor (retired), Department of Physics, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki. He was born in Athens, Greece on the 26th of May, 1947 and got his B.Sc. in Mathematics from the University of Thessaloniki (1970) and his Ph.D. in General Relativity from the same University (1982). He has been Research Associate at the Department of Physics of the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Greece (1973-1979), Postdoctoral Researcher at the Department of Physics, University of Cincinnati, Ohio,USA. (1979-1982), as well as Lecturer (1982-1985), Assistant Professor (1985-1992) and Associate professor (1992-2007) at the Physics Department of the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Greece. He has been honored with the Belgium, FNRS scholarship (1989-90). He has published more than 60 scientific papers in refereed international journals and four books in Greek on “Differential equations”, “Differential Geometry with Applications in Physics”, “Vector analysis and calculus” and “General Astronomy”. He is a member of the Hellenic Astronomical Society (Hel.A.S.).
Assistant Professor (retired), Department of Physics, University of Athens, Greece. He was born in Souez of Egypt on the 18th of July, 1947. He received the B.Sc. in Physics from the University of Athens, Greece in 1972, the M.Sc. in Meteorology (1976) and the Ph.D. in Physics (1984) from the same University. He has worked as Assistant of the Nuclear Physics Laboratory of the same University. His scientific interests include High Energy Physics and Astrophysics. He is a member of the International Astronomical Union (IAU) and of the Hellenic Astronomical Society (Hel.A.S.)
Assistant Professor (Retired) of Astronomy at the Department of Physics, University of Athens, Greece. He was born in Athens on the 21st of December, 1941. He received the B.Sc. in Physics from the University of Athens (1968) and the Ph.D. in 1976 from the same University. His scientific interests include Solar Physics and Applied Optics and he has organized the Laboratory of Applied Optics of the Physics Department. He is a member of the International Astronomical Union (IAU) and of the Hellenic Physics Union.
John Christopher Baillie Papaloizou (born 1947) is a theoretical physicist. Papaloizou is a professor at the Department of Applied Mathematics and Theoretical Physics (DAMTP) at the University of Cambridge. He works on the theory of accretion disks, with particular application to the formation of planets. He received his D.Phil. in 1972 from the University of Sussex under the supervision of Roger J. Tayler. The title of his thesis is The Vibrational Instability in Massive Stars.
He discovered the Papaloizou-Pringle instability together with Jim Pringle in 1984. Papaloizou also made major contributions in various areas such as the radial-orbit instability, toroidal modes in stars and different instabilities in accretion disks.
The asteroid 17063 Papaloizou is named after John Papaloizou.
Professor Emeritus, of Observational Astrophysics,
University of Crete, Greece. He was born in Anno
Viannos, Heraklion, Crete on the 27th of November, 1942. He received the B.Sc. in Physics (1968) and the
Dr.Rer.Nat. (1975) both from the Technische Universitaet Muenchen. He worked as Researcher at the Max Planck Institut fur Extraterrestrische Physik (MPE) before moving to the University of Crete in 1980, first as Visiting Lecturer and then (1984) as Assistant Professor. Scientifically, he is interested in Space Physics and Observational Astrophysics. Together with Gerhard Haerendel (MPE) they founded Skinakas Observatory (Crete).
Dr John Stefanos Paraskevopoulos -"Dr. Paras"- was born on 1889 June 20 at Piraeus in Greece. He received the degree of Doctor of Science from the University of Athens in 1910 and spent several years as laboratory assistant in Physics and Chemistry at the University of Athens, the late King George II of Greece attending laboratory courses under him at that time. His scientific career was interrupted by nine years of military service in the Greek army during the Balkan Wars and during the First World War. He ended his military career with the rank of First Lieutenant.
During part of his military service he was an instructor in Navigation at the Observatory in Athens ; he was active in the field as well and received several Greek war medals including thirteen bars for battles in which he had fought. After demobilization in 1919 he was sent to America to study astronomical methods of research and to gather information and estimates of prices regarding a possible large telescope for the Athens Observatory. The funds which had been set aside for the purchase of this telescope evaporated during the inflation of Greek currency in the post-war years. Dr Paras spent most of his two years in America studying spectroscopy at the Yerkes Observatory, but he worked also for several months at the Mount Wilson Observatory and at the United States Weather Bureau in Washington, D.C. During his stay at the Yerkes Observatory he met his future wife, Dorothy W. Block, then a graduate student at the Yerkes Observatory. The Parases were married in the summer of 1921, two months before his return to Athens, where he became Head of the Astronomical Department of the Observatory.
When it became evident that the large telescope for the Athens Observatory would not materialize, Dr Paras accepted in 1923 September, from Dr Harlow Shapley, an offer of the Superintendency of the Harvard Observatorys Southern Station. At that time the Boyden Station was located at Arequipa, Peru, and one of Dr Paras first assignments was to investigate conditions for the removal of the Boyden Station from Arequipa to a more suitable location. During 1923 to 1925 Dr Paras made three experimental expeditions to investigate conditions at high altitudes in Chile and in Southern Peru, but in 1927 it was decided that the Boyden Station was to be transferred from Arequipa, Peru, to South Africa. Dr and Mrs Paras arrived in South Africa in 1927 and undertook there the difficult and delicate tasks of, first, selecting a site for the Station, and of obtaining this site, and access to it, under the most favourable conditions, and, finally, of remounting the equipment that had been sent across from Peru. In the execution of this difficult assignment, Dr Paras was nobly assisted by his wife.
The Boyden Station can truly be said to be the Parases Observatory. Under Dr Paras Superintendency the original equipment was extended and modified. New mountings were made for several of the older telescopes and the two biggest items of new equipment that were set up under his direction were the 60-inch Rockefeller Reflector and, only a few months before Dr Paras death, the Armagh-Dunsink-Harvard telescope of Baker-Schmidt design. It was indeed a privilege for the writer to have been with Dr Paras at the time when he was mounting and adjusting the precision optics of the ADH telescope. With Dr Paras supervision and participation in the work, one hardly felt surprised that the first test plate showed the telescope to be in almost perfect focus and with hardly any need for further night-time adjustment. Dr Paras had an uncanny knack with instruments and he could unfailingly detect the exact spot where the trouble lay when any difficulty arose in the running of any telescope. His greatest joy was to have all of the delicate telescopic equipment of the Boyden Station in perfect running order at all times.
The building of a good observatory means more than equipment and maintenance. Efficiency of operation requires the presence of a competent and devoted staff and of good relations with many elements in the community. Dr Paras was truly loved and respected as a father by his staff, observers and mechanics alike; he was one of the best-known figures around Bloemfontein, and he was held in great respect by all elements of the community. The Boyden Station, one of the finest of Southern Hemisphere observatories, can truly be said to be a monument to Dr Paraskevopoulos.
There is a considerable Greek element among the population of South Africa. Dr Paras was the unquestioned leader of the Greek community of Greater Bloemfontein, but throughout South Africa, in fact throughout Africa south of the Equator, Dr Paras was looked upon as one of the principal Greek leaders.
Dr Paras was known especially for his successful efforts on behalf of Greek War Relief during the Second World War, but he derived perhaps even more his great strength with the Greek community through his kind and wise counsel freely given. Dr Paras held life membership in many scientific societies, including the Royal Astronomical Society, the American Astronomical Society, the South African Association for the Advancement of Science and the Societe Astrono-mique de France. He had the honorary degree of Master of Arts from Harvard University, was a corresponding member of the Greek Academy and was the recipient (in 195o) of one of the highest Greek medals, that of the Order of Phoenix. He was an extramural Professor of Astronomy at the University of the Orange Free State and two days before his death he received official noti-fication that he had been appointed by the French Government an Honorary Consular Agent for France for the Orange Free State and Basutoland. The Astronomical Society of the Pacific awarded him a Comet Medal in 1940.
Throughout his life photography was one of Dr Paras chief hobbies and he left behind excellent collections of photographs of cloud formations over Harvard Kopje. Dr Paras was a cultured and widely-read man. He was an accomplished linguist, who spoke six languages fluently while being able to express himself reasonably well in another two or three.
Bart. J. Bok (Harvard University)